Friday, August 11, 2017

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell | Review

23734628
Title: Carry On
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Release Date: October 6, 2015
Genre: Fantasy

Simon Snow is the worst chosen one who's ever been chosen.
That's what his roommate, Baz, says. And Baz might be evil and a vampire and a complete git, but he's probably right.
Half the time, Simon can't even make his wand work, and the other half, he sets something on fire. His mentor's avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, and there's a magic-eating monster running around wearing Simon's face. Baz would be having a field day with all this, if he were here, it's their last year at the Watford School of Magicks, and Simon's infuriating nemesis didn't even bother to show up.
Carry On is a ghost story, a love story, a mystery and a melodrama. It has just as much kissing and talking as you'd expect from a Rainbow Rowell story-but far, far more monsters.

So, after finishing Fangirl a few years ago, I knew that I'd have to read Carry On at some point. I mean, come on, that book was literally amazing and I had to know what the huge fuss was about Simon Snow. It may have taken me a few years, but I finally read Carry On and I have to say that it was quite the experience. Plus, there was a shit ton of feels.

First of all, I absolutely loved Simon Snow. I mean, sure, he's got a lot of the same qualities as Harry Potter, but he's just so different at the same time, and that's what makes him awesome. Plus, there's Baz, who I also loved. Then there's Baz and Simon, together, which I loved even more.

I remember when this book first came out, I had heard quite a bit about it being way too similar to Harry Potter and that's why it got some negative reviews. In my opinion, personally, you have to read this as an addition to Fangirl and fully know that yeah, there are gonna be similarities, but that doesn't mean that it's the same story. This one was really different, and there were a crap ton of adventures all in one book versus the one adventure per story in Harry Potter. There are also completely different characters and issues.

I really don't want to explain too much because I don't want to ruin the whole story for you, but honestly, even if you haven't read Fangirl, I suggest giving this one a try. As soon as I finished it, I knew that it was one I'd never forget. Plus, that ending was crazy.

I kinda wish that Rowell would write more about Simon and his adventures in the future.


6 comments:

  1. I so loved this one. I actually read this before Harry Potter!! I think it definitely stands on its own though. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I adored this book so much and I'm actually in desperate need of a reread to remind me of all the things I loved Baz and Simon :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book so much. I’m hoping to reread it sometime this year. Great review!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED Fangirl, but haven't read this one yet. Maybe it's because I didn't "get" what it was supposed to be about. Is it Cath's fanfic? And if so, at what point are we joining in the series?? How does that work? Is it not Cath and this is the legit Simon Snow books?? Or is this Rainbow Rowell writing Simon Snow fanfic? I'm so confused!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, I'm with you. I loved this book and sure there were similarities between this and HP but there were in Fangirl so what were people expecting? It's more an appreciation of the brilliance of fanfic to me and I loved that because fanfiction was my main source of reading for a really long time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Fangirl, I read that years ago and I remember the rave of Carry On, I bought a copy but never came round to reading it. I loved Simon Snow so I really need to get on to reading that ASAP.

    It's been a long time since I've been on your blog - finally getting back into blogging. Ha. Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!